Tragedy Strikes Close to Home: Why You Need to Have Life Insurance

For those of you that don’t know, there was a Life Insurance Movement held by Jeff Rose (a.k.a. Good Financial Cents) a few weeks ago where over 140 bloggers grouped together to bring awareness to the need for it. Due to a busy blogging and work schedule, I initially chose not to partake in the movement, but as tragedy struck a little over a week ago, the need for it has never been more apparent.

There’s Never a Question

It’s so easy to dream of the future and assume we’ll live long lives. I have goals, a bucket list, places I want to visit and things I want to accomplish. Despite doing my best to live out each day, my mind seems to drift to what the future has in store.

My wife and I are planning to spend our 3rd anniversary this coming October up in Minneapolis; we haven’t been on a vacation by ourselves in over two years and we’re desperately looking forward to the time away…it’s only two months from now! We’re hoping to take a language class this coming spring, go sky diving next summer, and we even have an audacious goal of taking a European vacation before we’re 30 (T-minus 2 years).

Is it just us or does the future seem so certain? I never question that I’ll make it to see my 30th birthday or that I’ll eventually see the day where I can retire, hang up the boots, and enjoy golfing on a weekly basis.

Why do we feel we’re invincible? Why is it so natural to look forward and assume tomorrow will come?

Tragedy Strikes Close to Home

Two Saturdays ago I had plans to go golfing with two of my best friends. After sleeping in on Saturday morning, I rolled over after slowly waking up, grabbed my phone off my nightstand and checked to see if I had any messages.

Just one text from my good friend: “My brother’s wife and baby passed away to be with the Lord last night. So no golf today. I will call you later.”

As requested by the husband, names were not used to protect the privacy of the family.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012

Random pains aren’t uncommon to expecting mothers, but when the soon-to-be mother started experiencing intense stomach pains, the family thought it would be best if they took a trip to the hospital just to see if anything was wrong.

Considering the wife (soon-to-be mom) had been in the hospital the week prior because some organs had begun to get cramped due to the growth of their baby, they thought, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Thursday night, August 23rd, 2012

After a series of tests by the doctors they assured the family that the baby and mother were fine, released them and sent them home to get some rest.

Friday afternoon, August 24th, 2012

As the stomach pain continued to increase throughout the day, the husband and wife decided another trip to the ER was necessary. In a panic, the husband rushed to the nearest hospital and on the way his wife passed out and became unconscious.

Upon arriving at the hospital, the emergency crew quickly removed her from the car, placed her on a stretcher and rushed into the ER.

Friday night, August 24th, 2012

With thoughts racing through the family’s mind, their only hopes were to hear that the soon-to-be mother and baby were fine. After conversations with the doctors, it was determined that they’d try to deliver the 8-month old baby via c-section.

As minutes slowly passed, the doctors came out to deliver the news that they were unable to save the baby but there was still hope they’d be able to revive the mom and keep her from passing.

After what seemed like eternity, the exhausted doctors finally emerged through the double doors and approached the eagerly-awaiting family to give them the much-anticipated news.

With solemn faces and steady words, the doctors calmly told the family that they were unable to save her.

Irreconcilable Emotion

As the husband heard those words his face went blank as the life was sucked out of him. As he started to cry, shrieks of agony filled the room. Doctors and nurses, unable to gather their emotions, began crying as everybody shared the pain and the unfathomable reality of life’s unexpected tragedies.

While tomorrow seems so close, the reality is that it’s not promised. Be thankful for all that you have, hug your kids, and always tell your wife how much you love her.

If I knew it would be the last time
That I’d see you fall asleep
I would tuck you in more tightly
And pray the Lord your soul to keep.

If I knew it would be the last time
That I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
And call you back for one more.
If I knew it would be the last time
I’d hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
So I could play them back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute or two
To stop and say “I love you,”
Instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.

For surely there’s always tomorrow
To make up for an oversight,
And we always get a second chance
To make everything alright.

There will always be another day
To say our “I love you’s,”
And certainly there’s another chance
To say our “Anything I can do’s?”
But just in case I might be wrong,
And today is all I get,
I’d like to say how much I love you
And I hope we never forget,

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
Young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
You get to hold your loved one tight.
– Author Unknown

Mom, 29, and 8-month old baby leave behind her husband and their 19-month old son. Amidst the suffering, the husband has peace knowing that his wife and daughter are in a better place and God remains good and His love, steadfast.

If you are married or have dependents, it’s extremely important that you carry life insurance.

As my close friend was helping his brother prepare for the funeral arrangements and the costs associated, the husband turned to him and said: “Brother, please make sure you have life insurance.”

Donations for the Husband and His Son

As a blogger I have the unique opportunity to help people in ways that some may not be able to, and I can’t overlook a chance to bless a family amidst an unthinkable tragedy.

So, we’ve opened a Paypal account that will help cover the funeral expenses, hospital bills, and any additional money raised will help support the husband in his new life as a single dad.

Holly and I will personally be donating and I ask that anybody who is willing donate as well. $5, $10, or $500 will help go a long way. While a monetary donation will never erase the events that took place over the past few days, my hope is that we can at least lessen the burden they face tomorrow.

*Donations made will not be tax deductible.

Live. Laugh. Love. Cry.

By , on Sep 4, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. Catherine says:

Ugh, as a new mom (who had an emergency c/sec) this absolutely breaks my heart. I know I’m a little late here but I’m so sorry for your loses. It really is terrifying to know these kinds of medical complications can happen in 2012. We really do need more life insurance, we have some coverage though work but I don’t think it’s enough, especially given the debt load we have. Something to think about for sure.

2. Total bummer. Here’s praying for the best for them.

I’ve lost my elder brother when I was 7 years old. And, I still can’t forget those moment of despair. I can only imagine what this family is going through. May God give them the strength and his love.

4. My condolences to the family. This story sent chills down my spine as I couldn’t even begin to imagine what everyone was going through. Life is so precious and sometimes we focus too much on the small things instead of enjoying what we have. A very good reason to have life insurance.

5. Oh, that is so sad. That poor guy.

6. My sincerest sympathies to the family! What a tragic, tragic story. It’s tough to think about, but the people we love can be taken away at any moment. Life is too short to be angry or hold grudges. We need to just appreciate each day we have with them and make the best of what we’re given.

I’m sorry to hear that, Andy. “No golf today” is the world’s biggest understatement. I hope things turn out okay for the family.

8. CF says:

Such a sad story! My condolences to the family. You never expect these things to happen.

9. Andy says:

Thank you all for your kind words, generosity, prayers, and sharing this article! There has been quite a bit of traffic on the page and I spoke to the family last night and there seems to have been quite a few donations as well.

I’ll be leaving this article front-and-center today and tomorrow, so if you’re just stumbling on this article, please SHARE the post via Twitter or Facebook, and if you feel compelled, please donate to help the family. 🙂

Keep up the tremendous work and thanks again for your kindness!

10. Katie says:

I am so sorry to hear this. Very tragic, I tear up as I read it and will be praying for the husband and son.

11. Touching and sad story… I hope it inspires more people to donate, clearly this family is in need of help, and financial worries should be the last thing on the husband and fathers mind.

12. Garrett says:

Wow, what an incredibly tragic story. Best wishes to all friends and family involved. I can’t even imagine what they must be going through right now.

13. I just don’t even know what to say. Those things aren’t supposed to happen. It’s so sad and sobering when they do. So sorry for that family.

14. Extremely sad story and I can imagine how very scared her husband was when he was doing everything he could to help her and their unborn baby. So sorry!

I too felt quite invincible when I was in my twenties. Now many years later that has disappeared.

The poem you included says it all!! There is also a song titled “If Tomorrow Never Comes” which is quite similar and usually brings me to tears.

15. Tell your friend I’m praying for him and his family. I can’t imageine the pain he must feel. I am so sorry to hear about this horrible tragedy, and am glad he has a friend like you to lean on during these tough times.

16. JoeTaxpayer says:

There are no words that can express my sadness at this post. I can only hope that you and the rest of your local friends and family can be there to provide emotional support. I hope we, the online community, can ease his financial burden so he can mourn properly, and not be distracted by the bills. My prayers are with you.

17. That is so sad. My prayers are with that family. I cannot imagine.

This is very sad. So sorry about the family.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family. They will need lots of love and support in this most trying time.

20. So sorry to hear the bad news and my thoughts are with the family. We do often think we are invincible but I definitely don’t feel that way today. Thanks for the wake up call… just wish it didn’t involve the horrible incident.

21. Eddie says:

My condolences go out to the family of your friend in this tough time.
    Your story was very touching…..and….well heart breaking to say the least. Stories like that are the reasons why life insurance is important – especially for families. Being a singleton, I haven’t taken on life insurance yet, but something that I’m considering fur the future.
    Thanks for sharing your story with us!

22. Peter says:

A sobering story and a wake-up call for those who haven’t yet bought life insurance. Having been through a situation where my wife almost lost her life as well (which thankfully turned out better than this one did), it really does make you appreciate life that much more, and make you want to hug your loved ones extra long tonight. Condolences to the family on their incalculable loss of a mother and spouse..

• It’s a shame that we take our loved ones for granted sometimes. I always try to remember to express how much my friends and family mean to me as often as I can. I still get lax in it and let some days go by without doing so, but I never want to regret not telling them how much they mean to me.