Christmas is just around the corner and it’s the time of year where people frantically search for “the perfect gift.” While I’m a firm believer that your husband probably has everything he needs, the reality is that most ladies want to buy something special that will make him realize just how much you love him.
Knowing that we’ve been working our way out of debt for the past 5 years, there have been many things I’ve gone without as we’ve pursued this journey to financial peace. With that in mind, I thought it’d be fun to go through some gift ideas that I think would be awesome to have!
1. A bible, book, or book on tape. Being an addicted non-fiction reader, here are a few books to check out: 48 Days to the Work You Love, Quitter, Thou Shall Prosper, The Millionaire Next Door, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Developing the Leader Within You, The Purpose Driven Life.
2. Red Solo Cup Wine Glasses. I couldn’t help myself with this one.
3. iPhone Apps. If I’ve learned anything from helping people budget over the past few years, it’s that men love to spend money downloading apps. Instead of breaking the budget, buy him a gift card to the iTunes store and let him go on a wild downloading spree.
4. A coffee mug. Now, don’t scoff at the idea…my wife bought me a coffee mug for my birthday last year! Here are a few awesome ideas: Grenade Mug – Take a Number, Mathematical Formulas Mug (for the math nerds), Toilet Mug, or go the more traditional (see “classy”) route with Thermos Stainless King Travel Mug.
5. Trick Exploding Golf Ball. If your husband is anything like the guys that I golf with, then they’ll have a blast playing a practical joke on one of their friends.
6. Grill Set. These come in all shapes and sizes (and prices), but here are a few decent ones: Charcoal Companion 4-Piece Perfect Chef Barbecue Tool Set or get a little more bang for you buck with Mr. Bar-B-Q 94001X 18-Piece Stainless-Steel Barbecue Set with Storage Case.
7. Otterbox for His iPhone . Having recently purchased the iPhone 5, I’m all about this right now as I’m known for mishandling phones.
8. Tickets to a sporting event. While you may not be able to buy tickets for the entire family, you can easily buy 2 tickets and allow him a night out with one of his pals.
9. A Massage! Sure, it’d be nice and romantic if you gave the massage yourself, but this isn’t in the “frugal” category. Spend some money and allow him to get a good rub down (from a professional). No dirty minds here…and no, this isn’t a female-only gift. I’d be more than stoked to get a good massage right now.
11. A round (or rounds) of golf. Being the winter season, it may be possible to score a few good deals at your husband’s favorite golf course.
12. Cologne. While we’re well known for smelling like garbage from time-to-time, nothing says “I love you” more than getting all up on your man and getting a good whiff of him the moment he walks through the door. Personally, I’m a fan of Acqua di Gio for Men 3.4 oz .
13. Tools. Nothing says you believe in your man more than getting him tools. Arg, arg, arg. Anything like a HOMAK 3-Drawer Tool Box, screwdriver set, socket set, or DEWALT 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit will make him feel better about himself.
14. Golf Club Drink Dispenser. Only necessary for those with drinking problems (or 90% of golfers).
15. iAnything will do just fine.
16. Kindle Paperwhite 3G + Wi-Fi. I’ve heard great things about this from people who know way more about tech gadgets than I do.
17. A camera to take those lovely family photos. How can you make memories without a great camera to capture the image forever? Check out the Nikon COOLPIX L810 16.1 MP Digital Camera or the one we personally use at the WSL house: Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera.
18. A nice watch. While watches are going by the wayside as we carry our phones on us 24/7, there are still a lot of guys that would love a nice watch.
19. A Grill for the chef. Nothing will make his heart melt more than the perfect grill to cook those brats, burgers, and steaks. Consider some of my favorites: Char-Broil Classic 5-Burner Gas Grill or the Weber 1421001 Performer Charcoal Grill.
20. North Face Jacket. I’ve had my North Face for years and I probably won’t need another jacket for at least a decade. Well…I don’t buy new clothes ever, so that may say more about me than it does the jacket.
21. A decent electric razor. I’ve had my electric razor for over 6 years and it’s time that I upgrade. Here are a few that I’ve read great things about: Braun Series 7 Pulsonic Shaver, the Panasonic ES8243A Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver, or the Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor.
22. A man’s man TV. Every Thanksgiving I visit my wife’s family and indulge by watching her uncle’s 65″ TV. It’s a beautiful sight to behold and I’ve now been itching to buy a new TV for years! Feast your eyes on this: Samsung 75-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV. I guess you could always settle for the 65-Inch but what kind of wife would you be? lol.
23. A set of clubs that only the best man deserves. I’d be fine getting the TaylorMade R11 Driver or a set of Titleist or Ping irons.
24. A nice knife set. How’s he supposed to cook you anything if he can’t chop up the food? …I know, he still won’t cook you meals even if you buy him these. Sorry. But for those of you that do cook, here’s the set we use at the WSL house: Calphalon Contemporary 17 Piece Cutlery Set.
25. A coffee maker. After realizing how great the Keurig systems are and how versatile they can be in terms of types of coffee you can buy, I’ve been wanting one for a few months now. Unfortunately, they’re not cheap and don’t fit into my budget…but it could be something you consider. Check out the Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System along with a variety pack of coffee to get your husband started off on the right foot.
26. Camping and backpacking equipment. My wife and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Colorado (and really any place that has mountains). With that in mind, I’ve wanted some serious camping gear for quite a few years. So, after doing some research, here are a few things to consider getting your husband if he’s a fan of camping or backpacking: GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Camper Cookware Set, Deuter ACT Lite 40+10 Backpack, MSR Carbon Reflex-2 Tent, Kelty Cosmic 20-Degree Sleeping Bag, and the Merrell Men’s Outbound Hiking Shoe
Finding something to get your husband for Christmas is a daunting challenge. I realize we’re picky, anal, and have everything in the world. With that in mind, there’s no price too high to buy our love this Holiday season.
Men out there: what are some other great things I can add to my Christmas gift ideas? I’m not the most up-to-date in terms of tech gadgets, so I’m sure I’m missing some awesome ideas.
The articles are written by personal finance enthusiasts (not certified professionals) based on their personal experience. What works for them may or may not work for you, and you should always consult a financial advisor before making important financial decisions.
In accordance with FTC guidelines, we disclose that we have a financial relationship with companies mentioned in this website. This may include receiving access to free products and services for product and service reviews and giveaways.
Any references to third party products, rates, or websites are subject to change without notice. We do our best to maintain current information, but due to the rapidly changing environment, some information may have changed since it was published. Please do the appropriate research before participating in any third party offers.