Ten Companies that Hire for Work-at-Home

At WSL, we encourage everybody to find jobs that they love and many people would love nothing better than a good, solid work-at-home arrangement – especially those of you that are stay at home moms. The problem is, not all companies offer such a situation, and not all job types are available for work-at-home. Then there’s a scam factor. When a lot of people are out looking for work, scams seem to be everywhere. And since work-at-home is such a desirable situation, scams seem to be even more prevalent here.

work at home companies image

Picture by Flickr

But there are well-known companies that do hire on a work-at-home basis as a regular part of their business, and they’re worth checking out. In each of the 10 companies listed below a link to the company’s job website is provided (links are highlighted by words in ORANGE). On some of them, the work-at-home situations will be obvious. On the ones where they’re not, just enter the words “work-at-home”, “work from home”, “virtual”, or “telecommute” in the search box and the work-at-home jobs should come up.

10 Work-at-Home Companies

Home Shopping Network

The Home Shopping Network works using virtual call center agents for both sales and customer service positions. That means lots of work-at-home opportunities.

The negative here is that the company requires that you’re able to work on-site once each month. That will limit the opportunities here to people who live in the general vicinities of Nashville, TN, Roanoke, VA and St. Petersburg, FL. But if you do live in those areas, the Home Shopping Network is definitely worth checking out.

Amazon

Work-at-home positions at Amazon include call center agents, call center managers and human resources personnel. The company hires for positions in Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington and West Virginia.

Positions can be either full-time or part-time, and benefits are available for employees who work 30 or more hours per week. Due to the holiday crush, part-time employees are required to work 40 hours per week during November and December. Call center agents are required to have a minimum of one year experience in customer service.

U-haul

Most work-at-home jobs at U-Haul are part-time, working from 25 to 32 hours per week. The company makes it a point of being “military friendly”, giving preference to applicants with a military background. Work-at-home employees typically work in customer service, reservations, or roadside assistance.

Hours typically run from 7 AM to 8 PM, seven days per week. They typically start out at the company contact center before becoming work-at-home. In addition, some jobs may remain split between working in the contact center and working from home.

Part-time positions come with benefits, including dental, a “limited” medical plan, 401(k), stock purchase plan, company discounts and credit union.

American Express

The travel and hospitality industries are major sources of potential work-at-home positions. One of the biggest players in the industry is American Express who hires home-based employees for customer care and travel counselors.

In addition to American Express, you can check out many of the major hotel chains or any other travel related employer. All are heavily customer service based, and that requires a lot of people manning phones at various times of the day.

1-800 Flowers

1-800 Flowers hires what it calls call-center agents for its work at home jobs, which is essentially customer service and sales. The jobs normally start out as temporary assignments covering holidays such as Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Mother’s Day.

Top performers (from that we can assume to be those who are most productive on the sales side) can be hired on a permanent basis, which will include employee benefits. The company also pays a premium for employees who are bilingual in Spanish.

Work at home jobs are available to residents of Arizona, Florida, Delaware, Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, in Texas.

Health insurance companies

The insurance industry is a rich source of work-at-home jobs, and the list of companies in the industry that hire include some of the biggest names. Aetna, E-surance, CIGNA, Humana, and United Healthcare are all companies known to hire for work-at-home positions.

Jobs could include a wide variety of positions, including nursing specialists, IT workers, customer service, claims, underwriting and many, many other jobs. Jobs can also be either full- or part-time.

As you can see the types of positions available in work-at-home vary from company to company, and from industry to industry. Many are geographically based, and many more hire only for certain positions. It’s also important to be aware that work-at-home jobs typically don’t pay the types of salaries that you would see in an on-site position. Since work-at-home is so popular, employers realize the value that the arrangement adds to the compensation package, and adjust salaries accordingly. But you also have to remember that you won’t have commuting expenses, lunches or dry cleaning bills, so it should all even out.

With any work-at-home situation, be prepared to be open to the opportunities available, and to be completely flexible in the process.

Have you ever held a work-at-home job? How did it work for you?

By , on Jan 25, 2013
Kevin
Kevin Mercadante is a professional personal finance blogger, and the owner of his own personal finance blog, OutOfYourRut.com. He has backgrounds in both accounting and the mortgage industry. He lives in Atlanta with his wife and two teenage kids and can be followed on Twitter at @OutOfYourRut.

1. I had no idea so many companies hired for work-at-home jobs. That is amazing. Thank you for sharing this. I have never had a work-at-home job but I have worked at home for my job a few times when I was not feeling well. As much as I like coming into the office and being around people, I love working from home as well. As some one who has been diagnosed with stomach diseases, working from the comfort of my own home is a great way to be worry free about these occurrences. Not to mention I save on gas and can make sure I get a full, healthy lunch.

2. I can’t really disclose where I work for my day job (financial industry) but I can say that we really value working at home. So much so that the entire team works from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As a result I usually wind up getting more work done than I would in the office AND I do the laundry/dishes. Overall, they are pretty productive days.

I half manage the team and the cool part about working from home so frequently is you become less focused with who is sitting in their chair and more focused on results. In the end, who cares if you’re never at your desk if you can achieve more than a guy who warms a seat all day browsing the web!

• Kevin says:

Working from home myself, I completely agree. There are more distractions at the office than most of realize. There’s office chit-chat, water cooler gossip, meetings, extended lunches (at home I mostly eat at my desk), and various creative avoidance schemes.

Another subtle but big one is comparing our work to that of our coworkers. If one is a slackard, we might downshift feeling that there’s no use. There’s none of that at home so you just keep working at your own pace.

3. I think that paying people to work from home is a great idea. The sheer savings potential on transportation alone is a huge benefit at $4 a gallon for gas.

Still, it would be nice to see more than customer service positions available. Although, something is definitely better than nothing.

• Kevin says:

Hi Wayne–I agree, but hopefully customer service jobs are just the foundation that will utlimately be built on with more job categories going to work from home. Some jobs will always be difficult to home base, but a lot more can than are now.

A lot of the problem is employers learning to give up that control.

4. Eddie says:

Do any of these companies offer those jobs in Canada?
    Great list though, but I’m curious.

• Kevin says:

Honestly Eddie, I didn’t look into that. Sorry I can’t be more help. But my guess is that if they’ll do it in the US then the same companies are like to do so in Canada. A winning business model is a winning business model, where ever it’s put into play.

5. I’m not sure I would be someone happy working from home all the time but this is a great list! I never realized that some of these companies have WFH opportunities. Something to keep in my back pocket..

6. I’ve never had a work at home job and didn’t realize big companies were offering these types of jobs. I’d probably rather work for myself if I had a business idea, but these are good options for folks who aren’t interested in having their own businesses. I like that Uhaul hires vets!

7. Great compilation of companies that hire at home. I would have never thought about half of them. My wife stays at home now with our daughter but I imagine in a couple years as our kids are all in school she will want to work part time and this would be the perfect fit.

• Kevin says:

I can see work at home as perfect for stay at home moms. They can be home with the kids but still earn some money. That’s a win-win, especially for the kids!

8. Great post! It’s always helpful to know which companies offer work-at-home jobs. It’s also beneficial for people to really think about what their talents are and how they can create jobs that are perfect for them all by themselves. For example, I’d rather work for myself blogging and writing than work for Amazon, regardless of the benefits, but others might really crave the security that those jobs offer.

• Kevin says:

Hi Cat–I’m with you, I like blogging and writing from home, but not everyone has a business idea that they’re comfortable with. It’s good that there are work at home jobs in that case.

9. Lots of companies, particularly those that hire a large number of knowledge workers allow work from home set ups. Ranging from one day a week to multiple days per week. My current company is like that. You get a cell phone, a lap top, and are expected to dial into meetings and such. Lots of people take advantage of it, especially those with far commutes or small children. I like working in the office (I’m more productive), but if the whether is bad or roads unsafe I’ll work from home that day.

• Kevin says:

Knowledge workers have always had more flexibility than the general workforce. What’s different now is that some of the flexibility is spreading to other job types.

10. I had no idea those companies hired workers from home, but it makes sense. Thanks for the list.

11. How very interesting. I wonder whether there are similar opportunities in the UK (probably). It seems to me that this is the future.

12. Pauline says:

Great list. I knew Amazon offered their workers the opportunity to telecommute but not that you could be at home full time. Even better if you can get employee benefits.

13. Most of these are call-center jobs. That would require two of my least favorite activities, talking on the phone and interacting with strangers.

14. I had no idea there were this many opportunities to work from home! Great Post

15. Isn’t it amazing how much the business world has changed over the past 10 years? Who would have thought that so many large corporations would employ people to work at home? Great list!

• Kevin says:

It almost certainly has to do with cost cutting. Employers don’t need office space to house work at home people, and it’s probably easier to find people to do shift work on the cheap.

16. Thad says:

Great post. This is a legitimate list of real businesses that hire for work at home.

17. Mackenzie says:

Interesting, I didn’t know these companies had these opportunities!

Wow I had no idea about all of these! Good to know.

19. Great post–I’ll be sharing this for sure! 🙂

20. Very cool post, Kevin. I didn’t know that these large companies hired work-at-home employees.
    I have had work at home jobs in the past, but typically it was part-time working for a small company that needed a “techie”. Certainly not a bad way to raise some extra income!

• Kevin says:

Hi Jefferson–With work at home it seems the most likely emplyoyers are the ones who look the least likely. Just seems to be a pattern.

21. We run our own business so a lot of our work is done from home. You’re right that this sector can be full of scams, but I have heard many of these companies doing it before and could potentially be a good opportunity for those looking to work from home.

• Kevin says:

Hi John–I agree, they’re worth checking out, with the twin caveats that you should never pay a fee to join a work at home arrangement, and if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

22. Matt says:

I’ve always wanted a work from home job, and have on occasion been able to do it for short periods. The biggest benefit I find is the huge amount of money you save not having to travel anywhere, and then there’s not having to buy lunch at work every day either.
    The downside of it though, is you can;t simply go home and leave it all behind…

• Kevin says:

Hi Matt–Another point is that most of them require that you work specific hours. It’s not the casual arrangement some think it to be. You may have some flexibility in choosing your schedule, but once you do you have to stick with it.

Still, it will save on commuting–both time and money–and allow you to work in a comfortable environment, away from office gossip and politics. Not a bad deal!