Save Money this Christmas – How to Make Your Own Christmas Cards

Paper cards can seem somewhat outdated in the ever-growing technological society we live in, but we believe that nothing beats getting ready for the Christmas season like hand-crafting your own, personalized Christmas cards to give to friends and relatives.

Let’s face it, making your own cards is much more fun than writing the same trivial sentence over and over again, and it’s a great way to spend quality time with your children. Today we’re showing you how to go to town on making the most creative Christmas cards – using everything from real mistletoe and more glitter than you can shake a stick at!

Make your own Christmas cards image

This is a really simple, great way to make Christmas cards that people will think have been designed and crafted by a professional designer (well, almost). The great thing about this style of Christmas card is the versatility – you can literally make any shape or style you like. It’s a great way to recycle old cards too.

What You’ll Need

• White or black cardstock
  • Glitter
  • Sequins
  • Gel pens
  • Printer with ink
  • Buttons
  • Ribbon
  • Glue
  • Old Christmas cards to chop – any other trinkets that can be glued and squashed to fit inside an envelope

First, to make your Christmas card, fold your desired size of white or black card. To mix things up, vary the size of the card – so some tall and long, some square and short. If there’s a particular pattern or shape (a holly leaf, for example) that tickles your fancy from an old Christmas card then chop it off, and use it as part of a new design for your own card. You’ll also find some lovely designs on the internet that you can turn into Christmas shaped designs. Print these designs off (they don’t necessarily have to be Christmas themed designs) in either a3 or a4 size. Then use a stencil (or draw out by hand if you’re a confident artist) to get your Christmas shape: think holly, a Christmas tree, a present, star etc. Then, use glitter, buttons and sequins to decorate.

You can really let your creative flair run wild with this Christmas card extravaganza – and it’s so simple! By using multiple textures, the font from two different cards, overlapping layers of old Christmas card patterns and so much more you can create original, fun and stylish Christmas cards – just don’t forget to put your signature on the back!

Picture by FreeDigitalPhotos.

By , on Nov 23, 2012

1. janie smith says:

or, you could find a really good deal! I just put in an order for 130 christmas cards with our family picture, it included a postage stamp too- all for…wait for it…$58.00. The postage itself is $53.30, so the cards were only $4.70! Cardstore.com had a fabulous sale! This is a whole lot less than if I tried to create it myself, I used to do this and then would end up spending more by making it myself.

Thanks for this, Janie! I’m going to look into it as we haven’t bought/ordered cards yet for Christmas. We always spend a ton on cards and it’s so unnecessary!

2. This is a great idea! I wish I hadn’t just ordered those pricy photo cards – next year, my kids are going to help me with this project isntead!

3. Terry says:

I like the do-it-yourself angle and the recycling and creativity of your idea.

I’m going to give it a try this Christmas.

4. ThatGuyKC says:

Great idea. Thank you for sharing.

5. Mackenzie says:

I was planning on making homemade Christmas cards, but I’m running out of time! I may have to just purchase some and do the homemade thing next year :)

I always love receiving homemade cards!

7. I don’t think I have time to make cards, but if you have a five year old, they make cards for everything. I’ve saved tons of money. I haven’t bought a birthday or any sort of card in over a year, and everyone thinks they are so sweet. Maybe I should set up a store!

8. Catherine says:

I love homemade cards but once you buy all the supplies to make them it’s usually more expensive than buying a box of pre-fab ones!

9. I am with Greg, sounds like fun but definitely am not crafty enough. If someone got a Christmas card made by me, I am not certain I’d be getting one from them the next year. :)

10. My boss loves to make her own cards! She makes beautiful cards too! On the other hand, while this sounds like fun, I am definitely not crafty enough:)

11. Great idea. I’m definitely doing this at Christmas this year.