Recipe: Spinach Pesto Pasta

• 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 10 cups baby spinach
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Parmesan cheese, to taste
  • 2 squash, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest

Spinach Pesto Pasta Ingredients

Cook pasta according to directions.

While pasta is cooking, chop the zucchini and squash then fry it up in a pan for a few minutes (add a little bit of olive oil to the pan). Once the vegetables have cooked for a few minutes, set aside.

Chopped zuchinni & squash

Meanwhile, put walnuts, garlic, spinach, olive oil, and salt and pepper into a food processor.

spinach & blender

Blend it up until it’s mixed well and the sauce is smooth.

processed spinach

Once the pasta is done cooking, drain the water and return noddles to the pot.

Combine the cooked zucchini and squash, noodles, and processed spinach pesto in pot (or large bowl) and stir until mixed well.

Serve warm and enjoy!

Spinach Pesto Pasta

Original recipe found at Real Simple Recipes

By , on Jun 19, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. I feel healthy just looking at the rich green color covering the pasta. I made a similar recipe last night but with mushrooms and it was delicious! I can’t wait to try this one.

2. This looks great for using up some of my CSA veggies. Thanks for the recipe. I love how versatile pesto ingredients are. It is a great way to use up any kids of greens.

I love pastas. I can’t thank you enough Andy for sharing so many vegetarian dishes. Have you ever considered a blog just for healthy vegetarian dishes? I bet you can do very well with health conscious people. 🙂

It’s actually something that has crossed my mind a few times. Ultimately I’d like to find somebody to partner with AND I’d need to get my wife on board to help. I’m not sure how much more I can write and editing pictures takes a bit of time.

4. Patricia says:

I just made this for dinner and everyone says it is delicious. Thanks for the great recipe.

5. Anthony Thompson says:

This pasta dish looks delightful, and as others have already stated, it looks like a healthy meal. The wayyou have it displayed in the photo makes it look very appetizing. The image that I’m having right now is a nice picnic area on a Summer day with family and friends and a plateful of this dish.

6. That looks way better than what I’m eating right now. HOT POCKETS!

7. Mmmm homemade pesto!!!!!! Looks so good. I’m a huge nut for garlic bread!! Is that parmesan cheese on top of everything when you were making the pesto?? It can’t be salt. Or is it garlic powder? Can’t tell.

8. I feel healthier just reading this recipe. 🙂 Meatless, inexpensive, healthful, and easy to make–what else matters!

9. John Ernest says:

It surely looks very tasty! I would try, and try until I succeed! Even though I may not have enough cooking experience I just know cooking this is possible because of this extensive recipe. Thanks for sharing!

10. Katie says:

I have never been a spinach person. I think this one is outside of my comfort zone. 🙂

11. Spinach is so versatile. I don’t like pesto, but I think that I might try this recipe.

12. We almost ate this last night. My wife made pesto pasta something. This looks pretty tasty!

My wife made homemade basil pesto with pine nuts and garlic, or something like that (I suck at cooking, btw…lol). She then froze it in baggies, and we pull it out anytime we want to add pesto to a meal. Good stuff.

13. Ok, that’s it, I’ve seen too many yummy recipes that require a food processor, I think it’s time for me to just go out and buy one!

We just got one this past Christmas and I’m extremely thankful we did! Lots of salsas and we used it for our detox recipe too.

This looks so well-balanced. It’s sometimes hard to go vegetarian yet still get enough fat and protein, but looks like you’ve done a good job with the walnuts and EVOO (fat), pasta (protein and carbs), and of course the vitamin-rich veggies. I love your healthy recipes! Thanks for sharing.

15. bogofdebt says:

That looks yummy! I’m going to have to keep this in mind when I go shopping next time. It is also making me hungry!

You might want to have another spinach recipe in mind if you try to buy that much spinach. Just a thought…

This got me thinking that I haven’t had pasta in so long. It used to be such a staple, but I just end up making massive amounts which doesn’t work very well when cooking for 1. Since I have a big box of spinach in the fridge, I really should give this a try. I’m gonna have to pass on the walnuts though, not a fan unless they’re in butter tarts.

17. Daisy says:

This looks delicious! And relatively healthy. Awesome! I need to make it. I love zucchini – it makes me think of summer, and grilling.

18. This looks delicious! I thin I have everything i need at home already.

19. I’ve made something similar to this in the past, but without the walnuts. While I like nuts, I’m not a huge fan of them IN my food.

We’ve had them in this and a few different salads, so I don’t have too many complaints with them in food.

I love pesto! Looks yummy.

21. I know you always eat well! How? Because you don’t just post recipes….you show the pictures?

How hard would it be to add the nutrition amounts? I know that, as someone monitoring my caloric intake (using LoseIt), I always want to find the calories in a serving.

I’ve been thinking about doing the caloric intake but I don’t know if I want to add it to the weekly post. While it might not take a ton of time, my time is stretched relatively thin and adding it is asking a lot. 🙂

With that said, once I create my ebook, I will have all of the nutritional values in that!

22. Kelsey Deluise says:

I’ve been looking for an new pasta recipe and landed on your blog! This looks delicious, can’t wait to try it!