Recipe: Southwest Quinoa Salad

We have tried some good recipes over the last few months but I CAN NOT remember one that was this amazingly delicious.

We used this as our main lunch dish, but we’ll definitely eat it for dinner sometime soon! For some this may not be a large enough “main” dish, but you should still try this as a side! I promise you won’t be disappointed!

Southwest Quinoa Salad

makes 4 servings

• 2 cups cooked, cooled quinoa (1 cup raw = 2 cups cooked)
  • 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained

• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice

Dressing ingredients - SWQS

Cook quinoa according to directions.

Cooked quinoa

Combine ingredients for salad in a medium bowl and toss together.

salad - SWQS

Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Whisk until well-mixed.

Pour dressing over salad and stir until well-mixed. Chill for (at least) 2 hours before serving.

I can’t exactly describe how this tasted, but it was similar to the taste of a Chipotle burrito (just without the meat of course). IT WAS AMAZING!!

Original recipe found at

By , on Apr 24, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. AutumninWI says:

This recipe is amazing! I’ve made it twice in the last 2 weeks. I’m vegan so it could be the main part of my meal, but I’ve also topped a green salad with it and that was tasty too.

Quinoa freezes very well once it’s cooked, so I’ve been making a bunch and freezing into 2 cup portions until I want to use it in a recipe.

I really glad you enjoyed the recipe! We have some more quinoa recipes coming up in the next few weeks. One of them is vegan so I think you’ll enjoy it. I will admit that neither of them are as good as this recipe, but they’re still pretty good!

2. ShortRoadTo says:

What the heck is quinoa? Is it like rice? What part of the store would I find it? By the way, congrats on getting your Alexa ranking under 100k. I see 99,772 as I type this comment.

3. Katie says:

I love the color in that dish. It looks delicious.

4. I may be the only person on the planet who dislikes quinoa. I hate the texture, and I’m a very healthy eater.

5. Sent your recipe to my wife and she says it looks great. I’ll report back once we try it!

This is something I love to try. I like salads in general. Thank you for promoting healthy eating Andy. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Karunesh says:

Quinoa is very nutritious and has high content of protein. This salad is healthy as well as tasty – just like most of your recipes. I would try it out this weekend

Can you believe I’ve never cooked with quinoa before! This looks really easy. I think this looks like a great recipe to try with one of my boys. They love cooking, but their little cooking experiments…make me kind of crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚

lol. I’d think cooking recipes with a lot of ingredients would be fun for the kids. Get them to measure out all of the various spices and have them throw it in the pot. I can see how that could turn into a little game…maybe a messy one though. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. I would have never thought of Quinoa Salad as a delicacy that I would enjoy, but I’d like to try it. The photos are awesome. You mentioned that it tastes like a Chipotle burrito. I think I would probably enjoy it more as a burrito; even though it looks great as a salad.

I certainly don’t think it would be bad in a burrito but the reason it works well as a salad is because it’s quite moist. It’s not overly dry or something like you might get with most rice/grains.

10. I’ve been meaning to try quinoa, and this looks like a great place to start

11. BRAD says:

Do you have the calorie count on this one?

That’s a good question, Brad! I unfortunately don’t though…there are a lot of various elements to this recipe and it’d be rather challenging to figure it all out.

If I can learn to manage time better I may try to add the nutrition info in the future. The problem is that it takes quite a bit of legwork (especially for fruits/vegetables that don’t have nutrition info on a label). I’ll work on that though…I like the idea.

I’ve never actually used quinoa in cooking, but it sounds like it is a super healthy ingredient to use. I think I’d fall into the category of this not being big enough for a main dish. For a lunch though, it would be awesome. I’m pretty jealous of your cooking Andy.

My wife made this recipe but I don’t think it’s too hard to make…the only bad part is that the chopping takes a few minutes. I believe Edward from Yakezie says it well: ‘if you can read, you can cook!’ I can cook as well as you…it simply involves reading and following directions. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Modest Money says:

That’s probably true. I just don’t get adventurous enough with trying new recipes and using ingredients that I wouldn’t normally. I get into a comfort zone with specific meals that I know I can cook.

13. That looks amazing! I wish I had quinoa in the house so we could do this for supper tonight. I love quinoa but have been having a hard time finding it at the grocery store lately- not sure why. I used to be able to find it no problem. I’ve been meaning to make a trip to bulk barn to get it- it’ll likely be cheaper anyways.

Marianne, the store we shop at does have some bulk dried food selections and that’s where we’ve been able to find it. I will admit we haven’t looked at any other grocery stores but I’m guessing that bulk barn will have it!

14. I am sending this to the brain trust in our family. It looks and sounds wonderful!

15. Love quinoa… good, filling, and healthy. Can’t get better than that.

Quinoa is surprisingly filling! We just tried another recipe with BBQ chicken and quinoa…it was amazing! I think we’ll be posting that on here soon too!

16. Adding this to the list of things that are probably actually easy enough for me to make. Thanks for sharing – this type of thing is right up my alley!

Yum this looks so good!

18. Oh yum, yum, YUM! I love these recipes you share–they always inspire me to get my butt in the kitchen ๐Ÿ™‚