Recipe: Open-faced Veggie Sandwich Melts

Veggie Sandwich Melts

• 2 Hamburger buns (split to make 4 sandwiches)
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • Mayonnaise to taste
  • 4 slices pepper jack cheese

Sandwich melts - ingredients

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Get a cookie sheet or baking pan and cover with aluminum foil.

Split the buns in half and apply mayonnaise to each bun. While we try to eat healthy, I prefer a rather generous portion.

Place buns on aluminum foil and top with onions, mushrooms, and peppers.

Vegatable toppings

Top off with pepper jack cheese and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Pepperjack cheese

melted cheese

Serve it up with a side of pasta or some other vegetable.

Vegatable Sandwich Melts

Editor’s note: this is one of my favorite easy and quick meals. They’re extremely delicious and VERY cheap to make!

By , on Jun 5, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. Looks delicious! Pepper jack cheese makes everything better. It is my favorite cheese!

2. Chris says:

Looks really DELICIOUS & HEALTHY!…being a HEALTH FREAK, I must try this!

I love your recipes as they are perfect for a vegetarian. I am going to try it this weekend.

4. That looks amazing! I’m not sure how healthy it is, but looks delicious.

5. Eddie says:

Looks yummy. Quite the chef you are!
    Definitely going to try this.

6. Katie says:

That is very creative. Pepper jack cheese is my favorite!

Another great meal, man. That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this extremely quick option. Looks like a 10 minute lunch…..

8. Ornella says:

Wow, this looks delicious. Have you thought about putting a ebook on your site with all these delicious recipes? You make them look so easy.

While this does look quite tasty, I’m still scared of eating so much mushroom. That’s one childhood food pickiness that I haven’t quite gotten over yet.

10. Ooh that looks sooooo good. Where do you live? The entire PF blogging universe demands to come over for dinner every Monday (Wednesday? Friday?).

I would love this on foccacia bread or ciabatta!

11. Andy, I wish I lived near you so I could invite myself over for lunch. You come up with some great stuff! I have family in Lawrence, so I may just pop in one day.

12. That looks pretty darn good.

Looks great! I need to eat more vegetarian meals.