Recipe: Mini Black Bean Burgers

• 2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
  • 4 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 2 Tablespoon Tahini

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Place black beans in a large bowl and mash to a chunky consistency.

Put oats into a blender or food processor and grind into a coarse flour.

Add grinded oats to the mashed beans with remaining ingredients (mushrooms, onion, garlic, lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, cumin, salt, nutritional yeast, and tahini).

Mix ingredients until a thick batter forms.

Prepare a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.

Using your hands, form bean mixture into small burger patties. Place on baking sheet and cook in the over for 10 minutes on each side.

Serve with or without buns. We chose to eat them without buns this time and used a ranch/salsa mixture for a dipping sauce. We’ll post the full-size burger recipe on here another time but when we had those we served it with ketchup and mustard (just like you would with a normal hamburger).

Original recipe found at Peas and Thank You

By , on Aug 8, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. Chris says:

Wow, what a tasty looking dish. It will be on my menu soon. Great work!!. It is so fun to find new blogs that are full of delicious dishes. Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Andy Hough says:

They look like cookies, but I’m sure they taste good. If I ever gave up meat I’d give these a try.

I love black bean burgers or veggie burgers. I am going to give this a try on this weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚

Shilpan, I’d wait to check out my recipe for next week. I think it’s MUCH better (also a black bean/quinoa burger)!

4. Does it taste like a burger? Is it good?

They aren’t bad! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll have a few real black bean burger recipes coming up soon, so I’d wait to try those first. Next week is a fairly good one that I enjoyed…so wait to check that one out first.

5. Jefferson says:

These look awesome!

I think everyone in this country needs to eat more beans.
    Packed with protein.. Super healthy. Beans Beans Beans.

6. Thought maybe you added the wrong photo, the baking sheet one looks like it has some amazing chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies. My wife and I have switched from hamburger to turkey burger, this might have to be the next step. Man, I want cookies now.

7. Eddie says:

These look yummy, and simple to make.
    How do they turn out on the BBQ? What’s better cooking in the pan or bbq?

8. I’m going to have to give these a try this weekend. I do have to admit though….they look like chocolate chip cookies from the pictures!

9. For some reason, this reminds me of a Yam-burger I had this year. One of the best burger’s I’ve ever eaten.

This one looks good too! My wife is always sneaking in vegetarian meals (I’m a certified carnivore), so this may be one for the books ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Mackenzie says:

These look so good! I’m going to have to give them a try ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Great recipe. Thanks Andy. I love having black bean burgers when I feeling healthy.

12. OK Andy, you’ve made me REALLY hungry:) I’m glad it is almost lunch time!

I’ll 2nd Lance’s question and add one. What did you think? Did you like them?

I’ll just say that I wouldn’t post it on the blog if it wasn’t good. We’ve had quite a few horrendous recipes and some mediocre ones, and those don’t see the light of day.

14. I have heard of bean burgers before. Do they taste anything like a real Burger?

I have a really great post coming up next week on the best black bean burger I’ve had thus far. If you have toppings (lettuce, tomato, ketchup or bbq sauce) then you really can’t tell a difference. Maybe the texture is slightly different but I had a few friends try them out and they were impressed.