Recipe: Greek Hummus Dip

Greek Hummus Dip Recipe

makes a lot of servings

Depending on how much of a chef you are will determine if you want to make the hummus from scratch or just buy it at the store. We’ve found you can save a tremendous amount of money by making it on your own, so I’d suggest that you go that route. However, I don’t have the recipe for that part in today’s post.

This Greek hummus dip recipe has been our favorite snack over the last few months and we even tested it out at a dinner party we went to. It was a hit and nearly the entire platter was eaten (amongst 6 people)! We’ve made it since then and have been packing it in our lunches each day to eat with some pretzels, vegetables, and/or pita chips.

Ingredients

• Hummus (we made ours from scratch using (2) 15-ounce cans chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin)
  • (2) Red Bell Peppers, seeded
  • Kalamata Olives, pitted
  • Cucumber, peeled & seeded
  • Feta Cheese, crumbled (6 oz)
  • Dill, dried

greek hummus dip ingredients header

After you’ve made the hummus from you favorite recipe, or have bought it from the store, then you’ll be left with these ingredients:

hummus dip recipe toppings image

Peel the cucumber and take out the seeds from that as well as from the red bell peppers. Chop the olives, cucumber, and red bell pepper finely. Don’t mince them, just chop them to about 1/4″ cubes.

Spread the hummus about 1.5 inches thick on the bottom of a wide serving dish.

Sprinkle the veggies evenly over the hummus, then top with the feta cheese. Sprinkle with dried dill.

Depending on whether or not your hummus was chilled, you should refrigerate this for at least one hour. After it’s been chilled, serve up the Greek Hummus Dip to your favorite friends and enjoy the party!

Greek Hummus Dip image

By , on Oct 3, 2012

1. I absolutely love hummus, so I am bookmarking this page and trying it this weekend. I have to say though, I have never had better hummus then when I was on a business trip to Dubai. (AMAZING). I wish I could figure out how they made it so creamy… Anyhow, If this is anywhere close, I’ll love it. Thanks for the recipe.

2. Looks good mate. We love Hummus and make it at home as well. I posted our recipe back a couple months ago but you use many different ingredients although you can jazz it up any way you like. We love feta and kalamata olives so we will give this recipe a go next. You are right it’s super easy to make and much cheaper. You can even make it cheaper by buying dry chick peas . Cheers Mr.CBB

We’ve shopped around for the dry chick peas but have been unsuccessful in finding them. We’ve gone with dry black beans (in other recipes) and have noticed that they’re a little harder than the canned ones…even when cooked. Is that the same with the dry chick peas and does it change the texture of the hummus at all?

3. Dude! This hummus looks BOMB! Seriously, going to make this, as my wife already makes homeade hummus and this would up the ante. Also, I love the money shot of the finished product! Salivating in my cube right now…

4. I am sad to admit I never knew what was in hummus. Thanks for enlightening me.

Kim! You have to give hummus a try; it’s not for everybody of course but it’s certainly very healthy and delicious (assuming you buy a decent kind).

5. Yummm, you’re making me hungry before it’s even lunch! I have to agree with Jeremy though, I’m really lazy at making dips (always a sucker for buying them at the farmer’s market).

I really love humus too but this looks even better. It’s a good excuse to get around to using those cans of chick peas in the cupboard. For some reason I got lazy about making it, but this is some good motivation.

We’ve been a little lazy with our efforts lately too and I’ve been quickly trying to come up with new recipes for the blog. I think that happens a bit when you get a little too busy though. Maybe things will slow down with the new job.

• Modest Money says:

I hope so, but I have a feeling it will just get busier as I really get into marketing my employer’s websites. The first week was rather slack, but soon I will have to start delivering results. With any luck I’ll find ways to scrape up more free time though. It would be good to do more cooking.

7. Andy says:

It definitely works well for the dinner parties. When we made it for our lunches (and saved it for a week) the cucumbers did get a little runny because I didn’t seed them good enough. It confused me though because after our first attempt (when we took it to a dinner party) we had leftovers, kept those and had no issues. Who knows…we’ll give it a 3rd shot here pretty soon!

8. That seriously looks awesome Andy. I love snacking on hummus and pita chips or veggies.

9. This looks great, I’ll have to pass it on to my wife.

Looks great! I’ll have to make this soon.

11. Why is it I always manage to catch your recipe posts right before I eat???

12. Pauline says:

Looks delicious, healthy and super easy! I like to add olive oil drizzled over the hummus. Thanks for the idea!

Olive oil isn’t a bad idea but it does add quite a bit of saturated fat (it’s not like the cheese is helping though). 🙂

13. Holly is out of town for work today, but I’m going to have to make sure that she reads this. She LOVES hummus! Thanks for the recipe!