Recipe: Chocolate Chip Quinoa Balls

Chocolate Chip Quinoa Balls

makes 12 balls

While I won’t sit here and say that this is hands-down a healthy dessert, it has become one of our favorite snacks! You have to take some time and make these over the next few weeks. You won’t be disappointed!

• 1 cup quick-cooking oats, dry
  • 1/4 cup quinoa, dry + 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup honey

Combine quinoa and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes (until quinoa has absorbed all of the water).

Scoop quinoa into a large mixing bowl and add sunflower seeds, oats, dried cranberries, and coconut. Mix well.

Mixed Ingredients

In a small pot bring honey to a simmer and then stir in the vanilla extract.

Vanilla & Honey

Pour warm honey and vanilla on top of quinoa mixture and stir well until combined.

Let the mixture cool for a few minutes and then add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and sea salt. Mix well with your hands until peanut butter is evenly spread throughout. Try not to melt the chocolate chips though!

Quinoa Ball Mixture

Using wet hands, roll the mixture into golf ball-sized balls. Place balls onto a plate or baking sheet and chill for at least 2 hours.

Quinoa Balls

Original recipe found at Eat, Live, Run

By , on Jul 17, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. Man, these look good! I think I’d totally skip the “make into balls” part, just bake it, pour on milk and eat it with a spoon!

2. It looks like I need to make a list of recipes I want to try from bloggers… and I’ll have to add this one to it!

3. Eddie says:

These look good.
    Your wifey is a lucky gal with all these cooking skills ๐Ÿ™‚

She helps a lot with the food. I’ve been making the majority of the recipes lately as I haven’t been working many nights, but that will flip-flop here pretty soon.

4. YUM! I think I’ll try this out, but swapping blueberries for the cranberries. Any clue how long these stay good for after making them? Thanks for sharing, Andy.

Hmm….I’d have to ask the wife on that one. I want to say we froze some for awhile so we could eat them at a later time and they were fine. Overall, I’d say the quinoa balls should last at least 4-5 days in the fridge (at least that’s how long we have them around).

5. You sure love Quinoa don’t you? ๐Ÿ™‚ I am in the same boat. It’s good for you.

We’ve only posted 4 quinoa recipes on this blog (out of my 25 recipes or so). We do love quinoa though. I’m pretty sure we buy it on a weekly basis.

6. These are some of the healthiest looking balls ever LOL. They look yummy and good for a post or pre-workout snack. I’m always looking for filling snacks that don’t cost me too much calories. Looking forward to making these.

7. I gotta tell you–the title alone of this post/recipe sounds like a non sequitur. ๐Ÿ™‚ Quinoa and chocolate? But I’ll trust you and try these. They do look good. And I know quinoa is awesome stuff, nutritionally.

I know…a lot of the recipes we post look crazy and are scary for people but I PROMISE they’re AMAZING!

Those are some tasty looking balls ๐Ÿ˜‰ If I wasn’t supposed to be avoiding sugar and caffeine in my diet right now, I’d be making these right away. When I’m allowed I’m hitting up the crack brownies and then these next.

I’m planning on making a revision to the crack brownies and adding in a layer of nutella. I’ll let you know how that goes!

9. These look really yummy. I have made other types of balls but not with quinoa. I love the versatility of it. Plus it is so good for you. I will have to try these out.

Let me know what you think of them! I’m pretty sure there isn’t anybody on the planet that wouldn’t like these balls!

10. Now I am confused.

Should I make time over the next few weeks to make these?

Or does it take a few weeks time to make these?

Okay, just kidding! They look good.

You may have to start an entire section on your blog titled: Quinoa and You! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for busting my chops, Thad! You should make some time over the next few weeks! ๐Ÿ™‚

I might eventually start a tab under the Recipes on the menu bar that will link to all of the Quinoa recipes.