Recipe: BBQ Chicken Quinoa

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad

makes 3 servings

We’ve tried some great quinoa recipes over the last few months such as the Greek Quinoa Salad and our personal favorite, the Southwest Quinoa Salad, however we’ve definitely added another one to the list!

• 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to directions
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 chicken breast
  • Avocado, chopped
  • White cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 4 Tablespoons barbeque sauce
  • Cilantro, to taste

Cook the chicken in the over for 25-35 minutes or until done. Towards the end of this get the quinoa cooking and cook that according to the packaged instructions. Typically cook 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water. Boil water first and add quinoa for 10 minutes.

Chop up avocado.

Chopped Avocado

Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the oven, shred it, and toss with BBQ sauce.

BBQ Chicken

In a large bowl, toss together cooked quinoa, corn, beans, BBQ chicken, and avocado.

When serving, top BBQ chicken quinoa mixture with shredded white cheddar cheese, cilantro, salt, pepper, and a little bit of extra barbeque sauce!

BBQ Quinoa Salad

Original recipe found at What’s Gaby Cooking

By , on Jul 11, 2012
Andy is a 30-something New Yorker who turned his financial life around. He took charge of his finances, got out of debt, and is now working his way toward financial success. He is the publisher of

1. This dish looks very appetizing, and very easy to make. I’m a bit of a short order cook myself, and enjoy creating dishes that are quick, easy, and tasty.

2. I’m torn between my love of avocado and hatred of quinoa. I will try this, tho. Its looks healthy.

3. I love quinoa… so this recipe is going into my favorites folder. Now if I can actually motivate myself to make these dishes instead of salivating over your pictures.

They’re so easy to make! The only hard part is chopping things up, but once you’re done with that then it takes no time!

4. Jefferson says:

looks amazing, j.

how does quinoa stack up nutrition wise vs. say .. brown rice?
    is it hard to get the consistency right?

i have never tried, but have wanted to.

Good question Jeff! I had to look it up and here is what I found:

They’re pretty much the same on calories, fat (2 grams for BR and 4 grams for Quinoa), sodium, carbs, and fiber. Quinoa has 3 grams more protein per cup (8 vs 5 for BR).

Iron – 15% (Q) 5% (BR)
      Magnesium – 30% (Q) 21% (BR)
      Phosphorus – 28% (Q) 16% (BR)
      Potassium – 9% (Q) 2% (BR)
      Manganese – 58% (Q) 88% (BR)

So, quinoa appears to be better in most categories but brown rice dominates on the maganese.

It’s super easy to get the consistency down. You use 2/1 on the water to quinoa when boiling it.

5. Looks good Andy… I think I might have to get some quinoa to try. Do you get it at a normal grocery store?

We buy it at our normal grocery store but they have a “health” section along with a bulk, dry grains and nuts section. We’ve found it in the bulk places…so if your store doesn’t have something like that then they may not carry it.

6. Looks simple and easy. My kind of recipe!

7. Looks like I know what Im having for dinner one night this week.

8. Daisy says:

this, as usual, looks delicious. and healthy!

9. Okay, confession time: I’ve never dealt with an avocado. Do you just peel that guy like a potato? And how do choose one at the market?

That asparagus looks yummy too!

I had never really messed with an avocado until a few years ago, so don’t be too ashamed of your confession. lol

So, you don’t peel it at all. You just take a knife and cut through the avocado length-wise. There is a huge pit in the middle (fat part of the avocado), so you won’t be able to cut all of the way through…you will basically cut all of the way down to the pit. Just make sure to cut around the whole thing (length-wise).

After you cut it, then you twist the two sides apart and take out the pit. After that, then just take a spoon (or you can buy a little gadget from a store) and scoop out the inner part (leaving the peel). Throw the outside part away and you’re good to go!

This looks crazy good.

11. As with the other ones, this looks excellent.